Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Poor Ben

Poor little Ben has had quite an eventful 3 weeks of life so far (3 weeks today)! On Saturday night Spencer felt Ben's head and said "this kid is burning up!" (trust him and not me to figure it out). Anyway, we took a temp that was 100.4 and called the doctor who told us to take him to the hospital. They took his temperature there at 100.8 and admitted the poor guy. In an infant as young as Ben any kind of fever is cause for concern and anything over about 100 they will admit to the hospital. so we spent until 3am Sunday morning getting tests done on Ben that were not fun for him- spinal tap, catheter, blood drawn, tubes stuck down his nose and into his freaking lungs (when the tube went in Spencer said out loud- "that is not supposed to go down that far!") The poor guy. We were admitted to the hospital and spent 36 hours there while they waited for test results and monitored Ben. All the tests came back negative and because Parker was sick last week with a bad cold including a fever and congestion (both of which Ben has) it makes sense Ben got what Parker had- only because he is so smsall it was pretty bad. So after Ben's fever went down and they watched him for awhile they let us go home early. He's doing better now. A HUGE thanks to my neighbor Adrienne who came and slept on our very uncomfortable couch Sunday night to be with Parker until Spencer got back from the hospital at 4am. What would we have done without her!




So in Ben's short three weeks of life he's had every test imaginable (and I thought immunizations were hard to watch!), he's had a scary hospital stay and he's now on he got his third set of casts for clubbed feet today! Hopefully we'll have a better second month!









Parker playing with animal crackers at the hospital- he was really good, cute guy.

17 comments:

Jen said...

I am so sorry!! That is so unfair for that little guy. Having a baby in the hospital is the worst thing, actually watching all the horrible tests is the problem. Both of my kids were in the hospital as babies, but not that young. How scary. I hope he's doing better now.

Rachel said...

I am so sorry, Erin. I hope he heals quickly, and stays healthy for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted you to know how sorry I am that little Ben has had such a struggle. But we are grateful that he is doing better now. We love you

The Farrell Family said...

Poor little Ben. He has had quite a month. I'm so sorry. It's so hard to watch your kids when they are hurting. I'm glad he's doing better and I hope this next month is a healthy one for the little guy. Our prayers are with you guys.

Adrienne said...

Your couch really wasn't that bad :) I'm just glad I could help. Hope everything gets better soon. Please call if you need anything!

Angie said...

Poor helpless Ben. I love you Erin...

Emily Brimhall said...

Poor little guy. I hate seeing my babies get poked and proded. Atleast you know he won't remember this. I'm sure this is making the transition to being a mom of two more difficult. I hope you get some much needed rest and little ben feels better soon!

The Wents said...

I totally emphathise. The Dr's were determined to find something wrong with Olivia and did every test imaginable. Things will only get better. I love you.

maryatkinson said...

It makes me wish I could have spent that Sunday in the hospital with you. Wow, hard to decide and even think about what to do but I know Ben is making progress and will soon be running around withParker sooner than you realize. MOM

Ben and Lori said...

poor guy!! I'm always so paranoid about colds or flus with little babies, it makes me so nervous. Hope he is feeling better.

ohana=)mama said...

My prayer are with you as I feels helpless otherwise with what to do to help but I'll keep you there and I hope for the best!

Angie said...

the animal cracker picture is my favorite.

Angie said...

the animal cracker picture is my favorite.

Rachel Mae said...

Oh, so sad. I'm so sorry. Things have to be better the second month after that first month . . . I can't imagine. Hang in there.

lindsey said...

Oh Erin I am so sad for sweet little Ben. I hope he gets feeling better soon. Poor lil thing!

Megan and Keli'i said...

Oh my goodness! The poor little guy! How are you holding up? I really do hope he has a better second month! We will definitely keep little Ben in our prayers.

Ben, Telia, Aeden and Eliza said...

How sad that that has so happen to the little ones. They are so innocent and sweet that it is the worst when you have to watch them go through things like that. I am so sorry to hear. Thank you for sharing. He is adorable.