Monday, November 24, 2008

Mom

I had a hard day one day this week.
Parker was out of sorts and tantrum throwing.
Ben seemed to forget how to fall asleep and cried more than usual
I was needed by two different boys for two different reasons in two different ways and both equally important
And there’s not enough of me sometimes to meet all these needs.
But then there was the moment at the end of the day
I turned on some music because we needed some company.
Ben in my pouch, like a kangaroo mother.
Alanis. And I felt like dancing so I did.
Parker looked at me and smiled- he needed no invitation.
So there we were in the living room- hands held, Ben in a pouch, dancing in circles
And it’s moments like those that make being a mother
the most incredible gift I’ve ever been given.

9 comments:

Rosander said...

Hey Erin-It's Lindsay Baird. I'm sorry I'm so lame and that we haven't gotten together, I know your busy with a new baby and poor Ben has has a rough start, but I would love to get together sometime. Hope all is well.

The Farrell Family said...

I love that Erin. That's so how it is. A hard day full of crazy chaos and then one moment that makes it all worth it.

The Wents said...

Isn't amazing how little, tender moments make all the hard things forgettable. I loved your story and have a handful of similar ones to remember when things are rough. Hang in there.

ohana=)mama said...

You make me want to be a better mommy. But you have always inspired me to be a better me now haven't you = ).

Angie said...

cute picture of parker, er. you're a good mom. that's obvious. and it's nice to know that you're enjoying it for you too.

StEphAniE gUnN said...

Erin, like I said earlier...you're a rock. Motherhood is the craziest thing ever. So many highs and lows and twists and turns. Never a dull moment.

Maggie King said...

Sometimes it's the craziest moments, when you can't even bare another second- that the simpiliest things remind us of what it's all about. Love, Maggie

Rach said...

Erin and Spencer - This is Chad Meynders, (Spencer taught me how to be a missionary.) Congrats on the children.. it looks like you guys are doing great. Just wanted to look you guys up.

Jenny said...

I just read your blog. I haven't checked in on you in a while. Congratulations on your new little one. Isn't it amazing what life teaches us, usually in ways we never expect. You're awesome.